Silentalarmcover.jpg (300 × 300 pixels, file size: 11 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
The cover art can be obtained from Wichita.
The entire cover: because the image is cover art, a form of product packaging, the entire image is needed to identify the product, properly convey the meaning and branding intended, and avoid tarnishing or misrepresenting the image.
The copy is of sufficient resolution for commentary and identification but lower resolution than the original cover. Copies made from it will be of inferior quality, unsuitable as artwork on pirate versions or other uses that would compete with the commercial purpose of the original artwork.
|Purpose of use||
Main infobox. The image is used for identification in the context of critical commentary of the work for which it serves as cover art. It makes a significant contribution to the user's understanding of the article, which could not practically be conveyed by words alone. The image is placed in the infobox at the top of the article discussing the work, to show the primary visual image associated with the work, and to help the user quickly identify the work and know they have found what they are looking for. Use for this purpose does not compete with the purposes of the original artwork, namely the artist's providing graphic design services to music concerns and in turn marketing music to the public.
As musical cover art, the image is not replaceable by free content; any other image that shows the packaging of the music would also be copyrighted, and any version that is not true to the original would be inadequate for identification or commentary.
|Fair useFair use of copyrighted material in the context of Silent Alarm|
- Type: Cover of Bloc Party's 2005 CD Silent Alarm.
- Photographer: Ness Sherry
- Distributors: Wichita Recordings, Vice Records, V2 Records, Dim Mak Records
- From: National Public Radio link
Fair use in Silent Alarm
Though this image is subject to copyright, its use is covered by the U.S. fair use laws because:
- It illustrates educational articles about the album from which the cover illustration was taken.
- The image is used as the primary means of visual identification of the article topic, of which critical commentary is written.
- The use of the cover will not affect the value of the original work or limit the copyright holder's rights or ability to distribute the original. In particular, copies of the image could not be used to make illegal copies of the album artwork on another CD.
- It is a low resolution image.
- The image is only a small portion of the commercial product.
- It is not replaceable with an uncopyrighted or freely copyrighted image of comparable educational value.
|This image is of a cover of an audio recording, and the copyright for it is most likely owned by either the publisher of the work or the artist(s) which produced the recording or cover artwork in question. It is believed that the use of low-resolution images of such covers
qualifies as fair use under the copyright law of the United States. Any other uses of this image, on Wikipedia or elsewhere, may be copyright infringement. See Wikipedia:Non-free content for more information.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||14:17, 7 August 2014||300 × 300 (11 KB)||Diannaa||This is the correct size for non-free album covers|
|15:56, 31 July 2014||No thumbnail||500 × 500 (21 KB)||Angelo Trovato|
|15:54, 31 July 2014||No thumbnail||300 × 300 (11 KB)||Angelo Trovato|
|19:58, 10 February 2009||No thumbnail||200 × 200 (13 KB)||Fox||Lower res|